Coconut Almond Green Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add almonds and cook until lightly browned. Keep an eye on them – they brown quickly! Transfer almonds to a plate for later.
2. In the same pan, sauté the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili pepper flakes, and salt. Cook until the onion is soft and beginning to get brown bits, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk to the pan and mix well, then add the green beans. Make sure everything is blended, then bring the pan to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook covered until the beans are tender. This is a judgement call. I like mine pretty well-done. If you like them crisp, it’s about 6 minutes; if you like them softer, go longer but keep an eye on them.
4. When they’ve reached the desired doneness, take off the lid and let the sauce cook down ’til it thickens a little. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the almonds, lime juice, and cilantro. Dig in!